On 5/8/05, Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> out put from dmesg gives:
> usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
> usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
>
> Could someone gives me an idea on what the prob might be?
> Cheers
> Antoine

Looks like a faulty usb key as it isn't recognised under doze either.
However, the other key (two of the same brand) gives this:

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
usb-storage: device found at 10
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: USB       Model: DISK Pro          Rev: 2.00
sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
: Current: sense key=0x6
    ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sd: Current: sense key=0x6
    ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
: Current: sense key=0x6
    ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sd: Current: sense key=0x6
    ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
: Current: sense key=0x6
    ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
sd: Current: sense key=0x6
    ASC=0x28 ASCQ=0x0
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda:end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
 unable to read partition table
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

Then continues to do something for quite a while and sometimes outputs this:

sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1

After which i can mount it. It takes an age though. Is this likely
another hardware problem (works ok under gentoo once it finally stops
plaing around, and fine under doze)?
Any pointers welcome
Cheers
Antoine