I have a feeling I'm missing something very obvious here, but I'm still
at a loss:

I have my laptop's ethernet set to use DHCP. Obviously, on the road this
will fail. But then the "net" service that postfix (and a bunch of other
stuff like sshd) depends on is not there. Of course I could edit the
init.d file, but there must be a cleaner solution, right? After all,
everybody on dialup-only systems has to have this problem.
I also haven't figured out *how* the "net" dependency is provided. The
postfix iniscript explicitely contains "provide mta", but very few
scripts use this provide keyword, especially not net.*
On my previous SuSE system, if I went someplace networked with the
machine running already, I used to say "ifup-dhcp eth0", and I could mail
and ssh into the laptop without any further ado. I suppose I could do the
same with Gentoo's runlevels which I haven't explored yet, but it still
doesn't solve the problem that I can't have postfix running and queueing
messages I send while offline so they can be delivered once I plug in
somewhere.

regards
        Matthias

--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages.       KeyID: 90CF8389
Fingerprint: 8E 1F 10 81 A4 66 29 46  B9 8A B9 E2 09 9F 3B 91