On Thu, 12 May 2005, C R. Little wrote:

> I use the package system for a lot just not everything. I'm beginning to
> use it for more stuff. I use to work in Redhat a lot so the package
> system was not the first thing I noticed in gentoo.

This sounds like the way I used to work in RedHat - install the base OS
but use tarballs for the important stuff like Apache, MySQL, etc.

(Of course, once you have several boxes like this it becomes a nightmare
to maintain, which was a good reason for me to switch to Gentoo ;-)

But package updates seem to be more frequent with Gentoo than RH.

> I really like gentoo a lot, I'm trying to get more familiar with the
> workstation end of it, and at the the same time clean up the systems,
> remove the manually compiled programs and use the package system to make
> them more proficient.

All very good - the Portage manuals are good reading. Once you get the
hang of it, maintenance is a snap.