On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 02:34 -0400, Calvin Spealman wrote:
>  ive got a network question. i have a few machines on my local
> network, but only one IP.

> But, i
> don't intend to run all the server daemons on one box for long.

>  i want to be able to
> address the different boxes by unique names from within the network

sounds simple enough.

so just give them each their own name within your network (a, b, c); and
put it in /etc/hosts of each machine.  Then put in /etc/hosts (or leave
it up to the DNS) your external host name (x.com) which points to the
router.

eg /etc/hosts:

192.168.1.1 a
192.168.1.2 b
192.168.1.3 c
216.239.32.10 x.com

your router forwards to each machine from the outside based on port.

Each box thinks it is only called a, or b, or c, (or a.x.com if you
like) but then configure the service on the box to think it is your
outside name (x.com). eg in your apache.conf on machine a, you can say
the hostname is x.com, in your postfix conf on machine b, you say the
hostname is x.com.

Internally, any machine can connect to a service on the virtual x.com,
which goes to your router and back in to the correct machine (so long as
your router is smart enough to do this without sending the traffic to
your isp and back).

Or, internally, you can connect to the correct machine, by just using a,
b, or c, because you set it up and you know which is which.

externally, all anyone knows about is x.com, which is listening on
multiple ports.

I did a similar thing at home with various services (I used to have 3
machines but I scaled back to 1!)

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>