Grant wrote:

>Has anyone switched to NPTL and noticed a speed difference?  If so,
>what seems faster?  Has anyone run across any packages that don't work
>well with NPTL?  What about the practical difference between + and -
>nptlonly?

I can't say I see a speed difference, but then again, I haven't really
tried to benchmark it either.  No noticeable problems in the
applications I run (KDE, VMWare, Thunderbird & Firefox, OOo1.9.XX)

'nptl' enables support for NPTL, but the old linuxthreads library is
still available.  You essentially end up building 2 glibc's, one with
NPTL and the other with linuxthreads.  'nptlonly' does away with the
linuxthreads build, so every application that uses threads must use NPTL.

-Richard