I put gnome on my system to try out gnopernicus which isn't working for
me. I'd like to take gnome off of my system now but don't want to
inadvertently remove needed X packages or libraries. Is there a way to
do this?
Tia.

Hi Cheryl,
   I've just been going through this sort of thing cleaning up my
world file. To sort of encapsulate the process forst make sure you're
system is up to date and clean using a command suvch as

emerge -pv --oneshot --update --deep world

After that you could use

emerge -Cp gnome

to remove the top bit of Gnome but none of the underlying package.

You can then run emerge -pv --depclean

to find things that are no longer needed. Presumably this will include
the next portions of gnome. you can remove them using --depclean but
make sure that it's not trying to take too much out. If it is addd
these other things into your world file.

When you've done a bit of work then try

revdep-rebuild -p

to make sure that dependencies haven't been broken and emerge back in
anything that's needed to fix up broken dependencies.

when you're all done all three of these commands

emerge -pv --oneshot --update --deep world
emerge -pv --depclean
revdep-rebuild -p

should come out clean and tell you there's no more work to do.

Hope this helps,
Mark