Hello,

I know I've seen this mentioned before, but I'm unable to find a reference to
it with useful information.

For the past several days, I've been unable to emerge anything at all. An
attempt gives the following:

checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

the error in config.log is:
configure:2385: i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer   conftest.c  >&5
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or
directory

Any suggestions as to what's going on here?

Regards,
Chris

        *        Chris Woods || [EMAIL PROTECTED]        *
        *        AIM: gnarrlybob || ICQ: 21740987         *
        *    Yahoo: cjwoods || MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    *
        * Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED] || http://bitspace.org *