Le jeudi 19 mai 2005 à 13:41 +0200, Yann GARNIER a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I installed gentoo for the first time a month ago on my laptop.... no prob at
> all.
> The thing is I'd like to be able to boot on a new kernel (actually I use the
> 2.6.11r5)
> Each time I emerge --update --deep world I see that a new slot for a new
> kernel is available, how can I use it ???

Emerge does'nt compile the new kernel. It only download's it. You have
to manually configure it and compile it.

Official documantation :
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7
The same in french:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/fr/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7

To update a kernel configuration, copy the old .config file
into /usr/src/linux and make oldconfig .

  hope this helps,

                Frédéric

--
Frédéric Grosshans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>