delete the contents of /etc/adjtime

this file contains data that the kernel uses to keep track of time, it
compensates for a slow/fast system clock tick.

If this file gets stuffed up then the kernel over compensates for what
it perceives to be a way out clock, and all hell breaks loose.

So try clearing it out and see if that works better (it will be
re-written with something sensible sooner or later)

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>