Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday 26 April 2005 08:34 am, "Dave Nebinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, it's also really useful when you don't know you exact requirements (and when do you?) because it lets you shrink/expand volumes with much less hassle than doing the same thing with partitions.

Also, even if you only have one drive now, who says you won't add another one later? With standard partitions, it impossible to grow one partition onto the other drive. It's trivial to do with LVM and you can also take advatage of LVM striping -- the poor man's software raid :).

Unless I know I'm never going to upgrade the system *and* I can justify just throwing everything ('cept /boot) onto a single partition, I say always go with LVM.

Actually, now the system is up and I converted all the windows partitions into Linux ones. All the data has been moves from those partitions to the Linux ones. In the process, I added another 2 hard disks. I had to extend the data partitions 3 or 4 times according to the need... It's just so easy with LVM2. I'm glad I went for it! Well worth it!

Regards,
Mrugesh Karnik