On 5/22/05, Charles Trois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for a slight misunderstanding: I mentioned Yellow Dog just to
> indicate that it had given confirmation that the 1394 drive is well
> alive, and that its address is /dev/sdb.
>
> mac-fdisk is the command that is prescribed in the Universal-2005.0-ppc
> handbook. It appears to be a Gentoo variant of pdisk or fdisk.
>
> Actually the command mac-fdisk /dev/hda (and then P) prints the map of
> the iMac hard disk, and I could go on from there to install Gentoo. But
> I would prefer to keep my Yellow Dog in place and to put Gentoo on the
> 1394 drive, and that is where I have a difficulty.
>
> I would have thought that the same command applied to /dev/sdb would
> open it, but it replies "no medium found" (not "no such file" however).
>
> That is my problem. Any ideas?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Charles

Hi Charles,
   OK, that's a bit more clear. Also possibly a bit more difficult. I
think there's going to be two problems here:

1) Does the Gentoo install CD see the 1394 drive? Boot with the drive
not attached. Are the 1394 drivers loaded? (lsmod) If so what message
do you see in dmesg when the drive is connected? Is it still sdb?
Please note that since you see sdb under YD this implies there must be
an sda. This means that under Gentoo you should see two devices (sda &
sdb) but it's possible that Gentoo will find them in a different order
and this drive might be sda if you boot with it attached. This is why
I recommend booting without it and then attaching.

2) Does the system allow you to boot from a 1394 drive. I know that
Macs can do this under  OS X. If it does then the questions will be
things like what file system types does the BIOS support at boot time.
Possibly you cannot use ext2/3? I don't know. (I've never used a Mac!)
If you can boot from this drive then I think what will be important
(and sort of hard to figure out) is what the device is going to be
referred as. (hd0,X)? (hd1,X) Will you use grub on the YD installation
to choose YD vs. Gentoo? If so then you might try entering grub under
YD and seeing where the tab completion process tells you anything.

   Sorry I cannot be of more help. I know nothing of Macs so this is
way far out stuff for me.

Good luck,
Mark