On Sunday 22 May 2005 08:38 am, Luigi Pinna
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello!
> I built a crypt device and I want to mount it during the boot time but I
> don't want to save the password in a file to use as input file.
> I would that the system wait that I insert the password by hand...
> Is it possible to do it?
> I put the calling to the mount script in /etc/conf.d/local.start
> Someone can help me?

I'm not sure what the problem is.  I added the command to create my
aes-loop device that encrypts most of my laptop harddrive to localmount
init script and it asks me for my passphrase each time I boot, just before
it initializes EVMS and LVM. Is cryptoloop so different?  [I know it is
not as secure, but I don't know exactly how its interface works.]

If it always expects the password to be on the command-line or in a file
you might have to do something like this:

(command-line)
read password
<make cryptoloo device; you password is in "${password}">

(file)
read password
echo $password > /tmp/crypto-passwd
<make cryptoloop device; you password is in /tmp/crypto-passwd>
rm -f /tmp/crypto-passwd # If /tmp is not journaled, use shred instead.

Either or these will echo your password as you type it, but you may be able
to change that with switches to bash's read command; I'm not really sure.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]