On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:48:44 -0400
Colin wrote:

> A. R. wrote:
>
> >When you enabled your card in the ALSA kernel config, did you select
> >it as a module?
> >Can you find the module files in the following directory?
> >    /lib/modules/2.6.11-gentoo-r9/kernel/sound
> >

> I tried compiling in Aureal Vortex support, but when that also didn't
> work, I compiled it as a module.  I'd prefer to have it compiled into
> the kernel, though.  Here's a little directory tree.
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.11-gentoo-r9/kernel/sound/
> core/
> ...seq/
> ......snd-seq-midi.ko
> ......snd-rawmidi.ko
> drivers/
> ...mpu401/
> ......snd-mpu401-uart.ko
> ......snd-mpu401.ko
> pci/
> ...ac97/
> ...... snd-ac97-codec.ko
> ...au88x0/
> ...... snd-au8820.ko
>
> >(I has happened to me that add support for my card(s) as kernel
> >built-ins, and suddenly ALSA does not work)
> >

> All right, then I'll keep it as a module.

<quote> When I went to run alsaconf, it said three times before the menu came
up, "modinfo:  could not find module snd"  alsaconf seemed to work perfectly,
and then it exited with a cheerful message.</quote>

looks like you are missing snd.ko. I am not sure where in the kernel
this is activated - perhaps you have it as a builtin instead of a module.