On Mon, 23 May 2005 03:46:27 +0100
THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

> On 5/23/05, Mark Shields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I can't give you a factual answer, but I can give you a guess:  it's
> > possible yum has different guidelines on including files, such as
> > the sun-jdk you pointed out.  Licensing restrictions, maybe?  But
> > no, that wouldn't make sense.  Or would it?
>
> there is sun/rpm bug at
> <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do;:YfiG?bug_id=4680244>,
> and I'm sure there're more.  Thanks to Nick Rout pointing out that yum
> is a front end for rpm, I'll clarify my question:
>
> due to that bug, which I probably should've mentioned in my first
> post, a JDK RPM doesn't exist (outside of JPackage).  What is emerge
> doing which allows it to bypass this bug?  if my facts are in error,
> please correct them.

If you want to find out how gentoo installs sun-jdk I suggest you read
the ebuild, I have had a quick look and it seems to use a .bin file from Sun,
not an rpm.

It also looks as though a bit of trickery is used to unpack the bin file.

The ebuild will also tell you where gentoo installs the package, looks
to be in the /opt directory, so I guess the ebuild is not following the
LFS either.

Strictly this is a packaging bug, not a functional one - ie the sdk
works, its just that people don't like where it puts the files.

Basically I am not sure that it is a huge problem for gentoo. Thats
because gentoo is not distrbuting alternative binary packages, just
installing the Sun packages as it sees fit.