I think nmblookup uses some entries of smb.conf, like the wins server,
charsets, max protocol, domain passwords, and maybe workgroup and
masters. I would say that all these methods relies on nmblookup, so it
there is a configuration error, none of them should work. But on a
very little network it should work without configuration...