Currently, I use "-march=i686" for my 3 machines, a P4, a PIII, and a
PII (and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeee<g>).

  According to the gcc docs at...
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.5/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options

"i586 is equivalent to pentium and i686 is equivalent to pentiumpro."

  Does this mean that I would get better optimization if I use "pentium2",
"pentium3" or "pentium4", as appropriate?  I am using the available flags
(-mmmx, -msse, -msse2, -mfpmath=sse, etc) as appropriate.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will