Matan Peled wrote:
Better idea:

Write a udev rule so that you'll get symlinks, such as:

/dev/usbkey /dev/camera /dev/widget /dev/foo /dev/bar ...

I hate it when a thought occurs to me just after I hit to send button.

this means I would need to write udev rules to create symbolic links for every potential SCSI disk drive as well as a number of flash drives. In my context, this becomes unmanageable because the changes ripple out into fstab not just in the live CD context but in the final system configuration.

in a one shot system yeah, this would work but if you're trying to make a general tool to simplify installation, I don't think it will fly. It would actually easier overall to manually control the sequence by plugging in unplugging the flash drive.

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.