maxim wexler wrote:

>># > grub
>>

>  grub> setup (hd0)
> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
> Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
> Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  22
>sectors are embedded.
>succeeded
> Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+22 p
>(hd0,1)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"...
>succeeded
>Done.
>

>>Your output from the setup command may vary
>>slightly, but it should not
>>find anything in "/boot/grub/"
>>

>Do I just delete it then?

If you mean the /boot/grub directory, then no (unless you want to go
back and try lilo again...).  The /boot/grub directory _should_ exist,
it is just that if /boot is a separate filesystem, grub should find the
files at "/grub", not "/boot/grub".

There is definitely something strange going on here.  When you did the
listing of the directory, are you _sure_ you had /dev/hda2 mounted on
/boot, and were not looking at the contents of /boot on the root filesystem?

> Also, what, if any, is the
>connection between "install" mentioned in grub setup
>and grub-install, the command. I noticed it didn't
>re-write grub.conf, had to do that manually. Does one
>still need to run grub-install *after* grub setup.

grub-install is basically just an automation of the grub commands you
ran manually.  There is no need to run grub-install if you know how to
use the grub command line.

-Richard