Michael Haan wrote:

> I'll take a look at those things, but the odd thing is I can boot the
> old kernel and networking is just fine.  Only the kernel has changed
> (and not even the kernel options).

This sounds like you need to re-emerge the driver for your NIC.  For
example, every time I upgrade my kernel I have to do something like this:

# cd /usr/src
# rm linux
# ln -s newkernel linux
# cd linux
# make oldconfig
# make && make modules_install
# emerge ipw2100

(ipw2100 is my wireless NIC)

If I don't re-emerge ipw2100, then the NIC *will not* work in the new
kernel.  If I boot to the old kernel, things work fine.  Why?  The ebuild
makes kernel modules, and they are marked for a specific kernel version.

If this is new to you, do some exploring in /lib/modules.  This is where all
of your modules are stored, and each kernel (and kernel revision) gets a
separate directory.

If you re-emerge with /usr/src/linux linked to the *old* kernel, it won't
help you any.  You have to update the link and then re-emerge your driver.

HTH!  Forgive me if you already know all this.  :-P

Peace,
Gabriel

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d