I think the portage here just died of a python bite.  Skipping to the
bottom line,
Python is complaining there's no package named "path".  However, I can
"import os.path" which is what I usually do.  So I'm not sure what's actually
broken, or how to fix it.

Help please?  I've put some brief details below.

++ kevin

I did my usual
    emerge -aDvu world
and there was nothing to do, so I said "no", and expected a prompt.  Nope.
I hit control-C and got the following:

> Nothing to merge; do you want me to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No] no
>
> Quitting.
>

> treat root # !!! global name 'portageexit' is not defined in //etc/make.conf
> !!! Incorrect multiline literals can cause this. Do not use them.
>
> treat root #

I didn't (and still don't) know what that really means.  I didn't
worry about it too much.
But later, I went to do the same command, and it died almost
immediately, telling
me that Python had bit the dust (or just bit portage).  I haven't
explored much else
yet.

> treat root #  emerge -aDvu world; etc-update
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
>
> Total size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> Nothing to merge; do you want me to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No] no
>
> Quitting.
>

> treat root # 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
>

> !!! Failed to complete python imports. There are internal modules for
> !!! python and failure here indicates that you have a problem with python
> !!! itself and thus portage is no able to continue processing.
>
> !!! You might consider starting python with verbose flags to see what has
> !!! gone wrong. Here is the information we got for this exception:
>    No module named path

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD