Andreas Vinsander wrote:
A little harsh I think!

Agree!

:)

If your running  a dual-core, double-processor system, it's effectively
a quad system (no dual), so SMP should be build for at least 4 processors.

Here's another dumb one:

Is hyperthreading enabled in the dual-core procesors? Thus making a
single dual core Xeon count as 4 processors kernel-wize?

If I remember rightly, yes. As far as how the processor presents itself to the system, each core itself is an independent processor. This goes for the hyper-treading system from Intel aswell, as it's treated as 2 cores, but the processor controls what the core can do depending on what's available in the processor and the code is running at the time.

Just interesting that if you bought 2 processors, now with dual-core hyper-threading your system suddenly thinks it's an 8-way beomoth! :D I'd hate to think of the licensing fees Micro$oft could charge for that if the mood caught them right! :-/

--
Jonathan Wright <mail at djnauk.co.uk>
// life has no meaning unless we can enjoy what we've been given