Recently i tried to install gentoo on a aspire 1300 laptop with a savage
graphics card. Everthing worked fine till i started to configute the X
server. For some reason which i don't understand, when starting X only
about 1/4 of the screen are grey - the rest of the screen stays blank
and you can't move the mousepointer outside of the grey box. But somehow
it must work, because when i boot up with the live-cd-2005.0 and then
chroot into my installation environment, i can configure and start X
without problems.

Here is a short description of the things i allready tried:
At first, after realizing that it works with the gentoo-boot cd, i
thought, that maybe somehow the framebuffer makes the differnece. So i
configured the system to use a simple framebuffer console without a
splashimage with the help of
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Framebuffer:Bootsplash:Grubsplash#2.6.8_and_newer_kernels
. Allthough that was easier than i thought, the problems with X remain.
I tried removing agp-gart support from the kernel [which is
linux-2.6.11.10 ]  and played around with different monitor and device
optins in my xorg config file.

Maybe someone has an idea what to do...
Thanks,
Antonio