On Sun, 29 May 2005, cothrige wrote:

> The book mentions a networkless install, but this seems to be a binary
> package installation.  That is the inference I am drawing in regards
> to the universal install disc and the packages disc.  Am I wrong?

Yes, for a networkless install you would normally use the universal CD +
packages CD.

> The
> day I have access to a faster connection is coming up this Wednesday
> and I am hoping to clarify what I need so that I can consider trying
> out a Gentoo install.  So, in short, which specific iso images can I
> use to achieve a reasonably complete non-binary Gentoo installation
> without any internet access whatsoever?

An install from source REQUIRES net access since the bootstrap script
downloads and builds each package - so a binary-less install without net
access is a contradiction in terms.

The one thing you could try is pre-downloading all the tarballs you are
likely to need for the bootstrap, kernel and various utils you need, burn
them to a CD, then put them in the /usr/portage/distfiles during the
install...

--
Aj.