Holly Bostick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't stand it anymore, so I thought I'd fish here for ideas.
>
> The long and the short of it is that I cannot load the GNOME desktop as
> a user (works fine as root).

[...]

I had this problem pretty persistently for a long time. I believe what finally
fixed it was killing all gnome-session processes, with no X at all running,
and then delete all gnome-related files and directories in $HOME - .gtk*
.gnome* .metacity* .nautilus* Desktop* .gconf* etc - and then restart X by
your usual means, and try logging in to gnome from there.

HTH,
Chris

        *        Chris Woods || [EMAIL PROTECTED]        *
        *        AIM: gnarrlybob || ICQ: 21740987         *
        *    Yahoo: cjwoods || MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    *
        * Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED] || http://bitspace.org *