On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:13:06 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I've now created a package.provided file in two locations to be sure.
>
> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

This is correct.

> /etc/make.profile/package.provided (as referenced in `man portage')

This is wrong. This should be a symlink to your profile in /usr/portage.
removing the link could cause all sorts of problems.

> The file contains:
>   dev-utils/cvs-1.12.11
>   app-editors/emacs-cvs-22.0.50.1
>
> However I still see the same output from emerge.
> It still wants to install emacs-21.. as dependancy for emacs-w3m, and
> cvs-1.11.. as dependancy for emacs-cvs.

You need to put the packages that portage wants to install in this file.
If emacs-w3m specifically wants emacs, not emacs-cvs, adding emacs-cvs to
package.provided will make no difference.

--
Neil Bothwick

Keep your words soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.