Hi Nick and Richard,

Thanks for both of your comments...

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 02:46:27PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:58:16 +0100
> Digby Tarvin wrote:
>
> > But when I try to run /etc/init.d/pcmcia start on gentoo I get
> >     PCMCIA support detected.
> >     Starting pcmcia...
> >     cardmgr failed to start.  Make sure that you have PCMCIA
> >     modules built or support compiled into the kernel
>
> Theres a pretty telling error message. "cardmgr failed to start"

I figured it wasn't a good thing. But what exactly does it tell you?

At the moment I am thinking that I havn't yet got the kernel to see
the PCI to Cardbus adapter at all, rather than just having problems
with a card not being recognised.

I note that under my old working SuSE system, the pccard directory
in proc contains:
  % ls -l /proc/bus/pccard
  total 0
  dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Jun  1 00:05 00
  dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Jun  1 15:23 01
  dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Jun  1 15:23 02
  dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Jun  1 15:23 03
  -r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  1 15:23 drivers

There are two slots for PCMCIA cards (one type I and one type II) in
the notebook, and two in the docking station, so I assume that the
two digit numbers refer to the slots and should show up even if no
card is inserted.

I tried booting with no docking station and no cards inserted, and
do indeed get:
  % ls -l /proc/bus/pccard
  total 0
  dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Jun  1 00:05 00
  dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Jun  1 15:23 01
  -r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  1 15:23 drivers

However on my gentoo install, I get just
  % ls -l /proc/bus/pccard
  total 0
  -r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  1 15:23 drivers

So I assume that my initial problem is a fairly fundamental failure
to recognise the the PCI to Cardbus device corresponding to the
SuSE boot messages:
  Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.28
    kernel build: 2.4.10-4GB #1 Fri Sep 28 17:20:21 GMT 2001
  Intel PCIC probe: <4>PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of devicei
        00:06.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
  PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:06.1. Please try
        using pci=biosirq.

    Toshiba ToPIC97 rev 20 PCI-to-CardBus at slot 00:06, mem 0x10000000
      host opts [0]: [slot 0xf0] [ccr 0x11] [cdr 0x86] [rcr 0x02] [no pci irq]
                [lat 168/176] [bus 18/18]
 .
 .

But I gather 2.6 kernels handle this a bit differently, so I am not sure
what I should expect to see.

Can anyone with a working laptop gentoo install confirm what messages I should
expect to see from gentoo??

Is there something special in the kernel config that I need to tweak to
get this 'Toshiba ToPIC97' device to work? I see no mention of it in the
the gentoo dmesg output posted earlier.

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.digbyt.com