On June 2, 2005 01:04 pm, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
> I don╢t want to start a flamewar here but I don╢t see the reason
> why KDE insists on using arts. Why not just route all sounds
> through alsa? Or has it to do with some cards limitations for
> harwaremixing?

because there are more platforms than just linux and not all the
platforms have ALSA. There are more reasons than that but this is the
most obvious. Arts was single gateway to whatever soundsystem your OS
provides for entire KDE in contrast to each application being "smart
enough" to recognize what and how to use with each OS.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator