maxim wexler wrote:

>Oops,
>
>What I was trying to say before I hit the wrong key, I
>paused the boot screen on the non-booting gentoo box
>and took a look at the HD line. It says the LBA mode
>is off. 32 bit mode is off. DMA mode is UDMA6, PIO
>mode is 4
>
>FWIW

I took a peek at the manual for your MB.  You might want to double check
the BIOS settings for the hard disk and make sure that LBA/Large mode is
set to "Auto".

Also, what is the CHS reported by the kernel in the dmesg output?  If it
says CHS=xxxx/255/63, then LBA mode is active.

You might want to try a modified setup command in grub:

root (hd0,1)
setup --force-lba (hd0)

-Richard