Ognjen Bezanov schreef:
> I am trying to upgrade my gentoo box but the partition where /var/tmp
> resides is too full.
>
> So I tried making a symbolic link to another disk which had a lot of
> space, but then gentoo refused to compile, giving me permission errors.
>
> So im asking, how can you use /var/tmp on another disk. I dont want to
> dedicate the whole disk and mount it to /var, so using links (or
> possibly giving portage a differnt path) would be better.
>
> thanks

You could also try cleaning /var/tmp out:

/var/tmp/portage can be emptied in its entirety, but most of the folders
there should not be taking up much space, as successfully completed
emerges will leave only a couple of bytes or kilobytes inside the
program's folder.

However, if you have failed emerges, especially for large compiles like
openoffice (not the bin), or xorg or something, the folder for that
emerge will still be in /var/tmp/portage/program_name/temp/work, because
the temporary work files are not deleted if the emerge fails. That can
take up a whole lot of space (the emerge for OOo uses some 3GB temp
space before completeion).

So you might consider deleting any program folders in /var/tmp/portage
for programs you know failed to compile and see if that helps.

Or, of course you could change your PORTAGE_TMPDIR setting in
/etc/make.conf and then change it back when you were done making
whatever new arrangements you wanted for the default /var/tmp.

HTH,
Holly