On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 01:14:31 -0400
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Just poking around through my system today.  I see a directory
> /etc/xinet.d complete with cupsd and telnetd config files (WTF?).  I'm
> sure we're all aware of the (in)security of telnetd.  And yes, I had
> /usr/sbin/in.telnetd but no xinetd or xinetd.  /etc/var/lib/portage/world
> indicates that I had telnet-bsd installed.  "qpkg -q -I telnet-bsd" said
> that nothing depends on it, so I unmerge it.

telnetd never gets started, unless two things are done - edit
/etc/xinetd.d/telnet
and change the no to yes, then rc-update add xinetd default.

Actaully getting pam to allow telnets connections is another major issue.  So,
no matter how insecure telnetd or rshd is, it's not easy to get them running.

>   Now I find that I have no telnet client for custom whois queries, etc.
> netkit-telnetd is obviously not what I want.  Is there a package that
> provides a plain ordinary telnet client... period???

$ esearch -Sc telnet
[ N] app-emacs/tramp (2.0.45):  TRAMP is a package for editing remote files
similar to ange-ftp but with rlogin, telnet and/or ssh
[ N] dev-java/telnetd (1.0-r1):  A telnet daemon for use in java applications
[ N] dev-perl/Net-Telnet (3.03-r1):  A Telnet Perl Module
[ N] dev-perl/Net-Telnet-Cisco (1.10):  Automate telnet sessions w/
routers&switches
[MN] games-fps/ttyquake (0.4.2):  Play Quake at a text terminal, in an xterm,
or over a telnet session
[MN] net-misc/blinkperl (20030301):  blinkperl is a telnet server, which plays
BlinkenLight movies
[MN] net-misc/cgterm (1.6):  Connect to C64 telnet BBS's with the correct
colours and font
[ N] net-misc/netkit-telnetd (0.17-r6):  Standard Linux telnet client and server
[ I] net-misc/putty (0.57):  UNIX port of the famous Telnet and SSH client
[ I] net-misc/telnet-bsd (1.0-r1):  Telnet and telnetd ported from OpenBSD with
IPv6 support
[MN] net-misc/tn5250 (0.16.5):  Telnet client for the IBM AS/400 that emulates
5250 terminals and printers.
[MN] net-misc/utelnetd (0.1.9):  A small Telnet daemon, derived from the Axis
tools
[MN] net-p2p/mldonkey (2.5.28-r4):  mldonkey is a new client to access the
eDonkey network. It is written in Objective-Caml, and comes with its own GTK
GUI, an HTTP interface and a telnet interface.

Looks like putty might work.

Bob
--
-