As I understand it emerge -Dep world will only install all packages that
your world packages depend on. This is not the same thing as all the
packages on your system.

For example if you install gnome, it pulls in say 10 dependencies and
you then unmerge it. These 10 dependencies are not in the world file,
nor are they dependencies of anything in the world file. This means that
emerge -Dep world will not pull it in.

Maybe this is the cause of the problem?

Simon