On Saturday 04 of June 2005 23:23, Colin wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> >   Why can't I boot??? Why can't I boot... Why? I do not even get as
> >far as a grub message.
> >   I've just now installed Gentoo 2005.0 for the second time on a
> >brand new Pundit-R machine. (ATI chipset, Celeron-D 533 FSB, 256MB)
> >Both times the install went absolutely fine and both times the machine
> >came up lame with the following AMI BIOS/boot messages:

I am using Pundit-R box (Asus P4R8L mobo) with gentoo (2.6.10 at the moment)
on Celeron D for more than a half year, however I boot it with home-built
extlinux [there is syslinux in portage now, but I am not sure if it contains
extlinux as well]. Both lilo and grub did not worked well for me, bios is
somewhat strange. More, I made standalone ext2 /boot partition at the lower
end of the drive BEFORE any gentoo install. Also, with a 1G of memory on my
box, only SMP kernels of most linux distros would boot, standard kernels are
crashing. Why, is beyond my understanding.

Another workaround, I use external usb2 dvd/cdrw on this box because internal
ide did not liked atapi cd drive well together with the hard drive (maxtor
diamond max).  Note there is only one ide channel in the box, Mark should
consider the use of SATA for one of the drives.

Another workaround, I have put a nvidia GF4 PCI video card in the system,
because linux ATI drivers do not support 3D accell for OGL with IXP/AGP
chipset. (however, worked very well with windblows directx).

However, I would seriously not suggest buing anything with ATI IXP chipset
inside for anyone. I liked the size factor, but I struggled with Pundit-R
several months with the kernel configuration, now it works quite well but
still there is one chip (sd/mmc controller) unsupported in linux.

(sory for replying the reply, I just joined the list and have not the parent
message)

Petr Kocmid