Mark Shields schreef:
> I'd highly recommend you don't add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to your make
> file, as this will cause your system to emerge with all ~x86
> (testing/unstable) packages upon next emerge. Add this to your
> /etc/portage/package.keywords: >=sys-libs/pam-0.78 then emerge -pv
> again.

I agree that adding ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" is a bad idea if you want to
run a (mostly) stable system, but

*unmasking PAM is not the only solution!!!*

PAM is an *optional* dependency; you can compile the program "-pam" and
still use the unstable proftpd without having to also use an unstable PAM.

I admit that I don't know how proftpd will react if the system as a
whole is not PAM-free (like mine), but it itself is.... but since it is
optional, it ought to work OK anyway (if PAM was a required dependency
for the package, there wouldn't be a USE flag for it; it would just be
installed).

Or one could just use a stable version of proftpd which would not
require an update to PAM, but instead use the version of PAM currently
installed.

Under Linux, if there's not at least two ways to do something, there's
something wrong.... but under Gentoo, if there's not at least three ways
to do something, you've (probably) missed (at least) one.

:)

Holly