On 12:16 Thu 09 Jun     , reg hughson wrote:
> As shown below, why wouldn't "emerge -u world" pick up the update available
> for gdm?
>
> Actually, I think it is probably because it is not listed in
> /var/lib/portage/world so I guess I am actually wondering why it wouldn't be
> listed there?
>
> Obviously my system knows gdm is installed but how does it know this? I guess
> I was always under the impression that everything I installed would be placed
> in /var/lib/portage/world. Obviously not. I know I can edit that file and add
> gdm dut that doesn't really answer my question.
>
> I am sure this is a minor issue that I just can't find in the man pages but I
> am trying to 1) learn something that I am obviously missing 2) determine if
> there are any other updates that "emerge -Du world" might be missing.

emerge -uD world should want to upgrade gdm.

Here's how it works:

You type emerge foo, and bar gets installed as a dep of foo, and baz
gets installed as a dep of bar. foo gets recorded in your world file,
but bar and baz don't. All 3 get entries in /var/db/pkg.

Now, if you do emerge -u world should pickup updates for foo and bar, but not
baz. emerge -uD world should pickup updates for foo, bar and baz.

But if foo gets removed or stops depending on bar and nothing else
depends on bar, then even emerge -uD world or emerge -e world won't
pickup updates of bar or baz. If you still wanted bar in this case you
could do emerge -n bar, and it'd get added to your world file without
being re-emerged.

Why not add everything to your world file? I believe that it slows
portage down because it has to check the deps of more packages. It also means
that if libbar gets installed as a dep of appfoo, and then you decided
you don't want appfoo anymore and unmerge it then you'd still keep
getting updates for libfoo, and emerge depclean wouldn't remove it. It's
also harder to maintain/find stuff in a larger world file.

hth, Dave
--
djm