On 6/8/05, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Same here; my cheap-as-chips and old-as-methuselah 8139 works fine as
> well-- in fact, it's the one thing I can count on working right if I go
> distro-hopping, no matter where I wind up.
>
> However, you make a good point, Antoine... the driver that has always
> worked perfectly for me is 8139too (I have a 8139 A-series). The newer
> driver for the 8139 C+ (8139CP) gave me nothing but trouble, despite the
> fact it's supposed to be backwards-compatible. Didn't seem so to
> me.

a friend ended up helping with the hardware part, which was much
simpler than I expected.  we spent about half of the time figuring out
how to get the case open ;)

here's what I went with:

<http://www.dlink.ca/product.php?PID=124>
from
<http://www.eglobalonline.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=342>

which was only $9.98 canadian.  once I actually got to the store it
turned out that "compatible drivers include: Linux 2.2/2.4" is written
right on the box :)

so, I bought it for $9.98 canadian and am so far happy.  tomorrow I
hope to plug the VOIP telephone adapter into it :)

thanks for help, all.  it turned out to be a non-issue, but I was in a
time crunch and need some info right away, thanks again.  this NIC
might be a sort of "win-modem" but at least it works, quite literally,
right out of the box :)

-Thufir