Ralph Slooten wrote:

> The only real issues (sound) I have come across with users are mainly
> Gentoo users who use the ebuilds, which in term uses a self-created
> sound-wrapper file which unfortunately does not work with everyone.

So, from what you just said and the previous comments on this thread, I
can assume that Skype only supports the obsolete OSS API for sound?
Sorry, an 'awesome' product that truly wanted to support linux would
support alsa, esd, and arts sound APIs at a minimum.

> As for removing Skype in the future?? Where do you get your information
> from? It sounds to me like your personal opinion which is based on
> nothing more than your pro-gpl / anti-the-rest attitude.

History has shown that commercial software and Linux have a difficult
relationship at best:

1. Adobe Acrobat Reader was stuck at the crappy version 5 for years.
The supported Linux long enough to be able to reasonably claim
"cross-platform" support, but then their priorities changed.  Only
recently have their priorities changed again.

2. ATI.  Their 'support' would be laughable, if I didn't have one of
their products in my laptop.  Won't be making *that* mistake again.

3. Bitkeeper.

> You do realise that Skype being commercial is a company which like
> *every* other commercial company *needs* to make money to survive? Their

True, but supporting a Linux client takes resources and money.  Business
priorities change, and some suit could very easily decide that the linux
client is not their "core business value" or some such crap.

> Sigh ... another twisted opinion of the word "freedom". Dude, it's
> "freedom" in terms of free to choose (and to have a choice), rather than
> "as long as it's free (price) AND GPL then it's OK ~ otherwise they are
> just \"abusing\" you".

For the record, I don't live in the 'free software' camp, but I am glad
they exist.  It has nothing to do with restricting choices to GPL
software, but with not giving up real freedom in the name of convenience.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

-Richard