Hello all,
I have a strange error doing an 'emerge -uD world':

>>> Source unpacked.
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib
creating cache ./config.cache
checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no
checking whether to compress the manpages... no
checking whether to add a package name suffix for the manpages... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
Here is the config.log:
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:579: checking whether to use symlinks for manpages
configure:591: checking whether to compress the manpages
configure:614: checking whether to add a package name suffix for the manpages
configure:642: checking for gcc
configure:755: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe ) works
configure:771: gcc -o conftest -O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe   conftest.c  1>&5
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
cc1: Broken pipe: error closing -
configure: failed program was:

#line 766 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
work/tcl8.4.9/unix/config.log (END)

If I try an individual package, I have a failure also, but with a
different message depending on the package.

Thanks for any help
--
Jean Magnan de Bornier          |       email: jean-at-bornier.net