Graham Murray wrote:

>Sometimes a package will upgrade/downgrade alternately when running
>'emerge -uD world'. One such that is happening to me right now is
>libtheora. media-lib/xine-lib has a 'straight' (no version) dependency
>on libtheora, which causes emerge to update to the latest
>version. media-plugins/gst-plugins-theora has a dependency on a
>specific version of libtheora, which causes the next emerge to
>downgrade libtheora to that version. And so the cycle continues.
>
>Should portage not recognise the specific version requirement and
>not perform an upgrade to a later version?

It is a long-standing bug in portage, and apparently not easy to fix.

You can workaround the problem by adding an appropriate entry to
/etc/portage/package.mask.  For example, I have:

# 1.02 or lower required by piave
>media-libs/libdv-0.102
# 28_pre6 or lower required by kwifimanager
>net-wireless/wireless-tools-28_pre6

So, just mask out the versions media-libs/theora greater than whatever
gst-plugins-theora wants.

-Richard