I guess the tweaks that it mentions are the initial ones, the services
and all kernel and low level config related stuff, glibc and the other
compile tools that are prebuilt in all stages but 1. I found that it
wasn't hard (stage1), just took a lot of TIME, I'm happy with it, I
guess that it takes less time to configure your system as you install
it than it takes to configure it while its running (at least first
install). For me, stage1 rocks. For most people, stage2 and 3 are
better, not because of knowledge, but because most people don't have 2
or 3 days to configure a machine, if I had to install it in a machine
other than my home desktop, would go with stage3.

(All stages have the same advantage: You can tweak it at any time, and
have total access on changing everything, if you have the time to do
so, that's Gentoo!)

On 6/17/05, Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:38:13 -0700 Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> >>
> >> It is the part where the differences between the stages are described.
> >>
> >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2#doc_chap2
> >>
> >> It is not wrong as it only mentions tweaking initial settings, but I
> >> would say that a normal reading is that stage gives you less ability
> >> to tweak the *final* system even though this is not stated.
> >>
> >> allan
> >>
> >> Stage2       Pros and Cons
> >> +    You can still tweak your settings
> >> -    You cannot tweak as much as with a stage1
> >>
> >> A Stage3 Approach
> >>
> >> Stage3       Pros and Cons
> >> +    Fastest way to get a Gentoo base system
> >> -    You cannot tweak the base system - it's built already
> >>

> > IMO it's misleading where it says "cannot" for stage2 and
> > stage3. That is too harsh of a word.  Like I mentioned before,
> > "emerge -e world" rebuilds *everything* so that all your tweaks will
> > be actualized.  It could miss some packages but you can get those
> > with "emerge -a depclean".
>
> Agreed.
> allan
> --