Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  "find *eawpatches*"
didn't find a directory, but it did find...
/usr/portage/media-sound/timidity-eawpatches

  I emerged timidity-eawpatches.  At the end of the emerge was this
message...

 * You must run 'timidity-update -g -s eawpatches' to set this
 * patchset as the default system patchset.

  I did that, and timidity now plays just fine.  I wonder if there was a
similar message at the end of the timidity++ emerge.  I did a couple of
packages at once, so if there was a message, I missed it.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca