Fernando Meira wrote:

> Although I have a few errors while starting X, they do not make X fail
> (as I think). After starting X, the problem arises when loading KDE
> with the following message:
>
> "-Could not read network connection list.
>  /home/nando/.DCOPserver_nandux__0
>  Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running."

snip

> This, as I could find until now, is due to problems with my /home
> partition (fat32). With a new user (with homedir in the linux
> partition) everything goes fine. For this problem, I can't find
> solution..

Ah, I think have the answer for this.  FAT32 doesn't support 'special'
files such as device nodes, fifos, and sockets.  That ".DCOP..." file
that KDE needs to create is a socket.

The "solution" for this is to put the users' .kde directories on a
filesystem that supports sockets.  You might be able to accomplish this
through an environment variable, to tell KDE where the users home KDE
directory is...search around the KDE documentation for this.  You could
also use the 'loop' driver to create a filesystem in a file and mount
that at ~/.kde.

> I've tried many mount option with full permission to everyone, but
> scripts don't run properly (such as useradd and something within the X
> startup).

Well, I have no idea why scripts won't run.  Are you sure this is what
you mean to say?  Can you create your own script and execute it as a
user?  Sockets, device nodes, etc. I can understand...but not being able
to execute any shell scripts is very strange.

> Now, the errors when starting Xorg: Yes, I think I have conflicts
> between xorg and the kernel configuration. I've attached my xorg.conf
> file (the one I adapted after running Xorg -configure ---- I commented
> the font problem, the DRI section and added some lines in the keyboard
> and mouse inputs). From what I could see from your xorg.conf, mine got
> somewhat less detailed :(

That is to be expected...I added most of those options by hand.

But it should not have configured 'Driver "ati"', since the ATI driver
has no support for 'Radeon' chips.  The 'radeon' driver has support for
the M6 (Radeon 7000, at least), so I think that line should say 'Driver
"radeon"'.

You can just delete all of the commented-out options.

> For info: I have a ATI Mobility M6

Well, the good news is that the basic driver should give you 3D hardware
acceleration.  I'm not familiar with the M6/RV100/Radeon 7000 family of
adapters, and what the hardware capabilities were.  But if the hardware
supports 3D, the opensource drivers should as well.  But, let's get X
started before trying that!

-Richard