Fernando Canizo wrote:
> Hi all, this is my first mail in the list.
>
> Ussually i see two colors: red and blue in the use flags showed by an
> emerge -pv <something>
>
> Yesterday i hace to rebuild qt because it hasn't support for mysql, which i
> just
> installed before, and i noted the use flag "+mysql" appearing green colored.
>
> Y supposed, i assume correctly, that when a rebuild finds a new use flag
> because
> some other package activated it, it appears green, besides the blue for
> +use_flag and the red for -use_flag.
>
> However i wished to confirm that supposition and i was unable to find anything
> on the web. Looking in google for strings like "gentoo emerge meaning color"
> and
> a few more similar didn't throw anything.
>
> So the question: is there a place where this colors are explained? Maybe there
> are some other colors, for other situations, which i have not encountered yet.
>
> I imagine that can look in the code of emerge, but are the colors defined
> there?
>
> Just curious, nothing's gonna broke if i never know.

In /usr/bin/emerge you can see that red, green, and blue are the only
possibilities:

        now_use=self.applied_useflags[x[2]]
        for ebuild_iuse in portage_util.unique_array(iuse_split):
                usechange=""
                if old_use:
                        if (old_use.count(ebuild_iuse) and not
now_use.count(ebuild_iuse)) or (not old_use.count(ebuild_iuse) and
now_use.count(ebuild_iuse)):
                                usechange="*"

                if ebuild_iuse in self.applied_useflags[x[2]]:
                        if usechange == "*":
                                iuse=green("+"+ebuild_iuse)
                        else:
                                iuse=red("+"+ebuild_iuse)
                elif ebuild_iuse in portage.settings.usemask:
                        iuse=blue("(-"+ebuild_iuse+")")
                else:
                        iuse=blue("-"+ebuild_iuse)
                verboseadd+=iuse+usechange+" "