maxim wexler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Good news Richard Fish, I followed the advice offered
> in the current "Dell, Optiplex" thread and made a grub
> boot floppy(Why didn't we try that before?).

In case anyone missed it here's the old thread:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111738921200004

> Now I'm looking at a beautiful grub>_ prompt and
> wondering what my next step should be.
>
> It's weird, now the boot process gets past stage2
> whereas before it would gag after stage1.5, even
> though the various stages are all available under
> /boot/grub.

With that type of grub boot floppy it's easy for stage1 to find stage2 because
it's appended directly onto it.  You can't do much more than chain load with
this type of boot floppy.

There are instructions for creating a more complete grub floppy here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm#_Making_a_Full_grub_Boot_Floppy

This type of floppy includes the filesystem drivers that you may need if the
chain loader doesn't work.

Zac