Joseph wrote:
On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 00:05 -0400, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
Joseph wrote:
I'm reading all the posts regarding distcc and it seems to me everything
is simple but for some reason or another I don't see any activity with
distccmon-gnome across my network.

It's very easy to not see DISTCC processes in distccmon-gnome when using emerge, since it uses a private DISTCC_DIR.

I was monitoring any activity with distcc in "top", "gkrellm2" on eth0

Re: top
On the host or server? distcc takes very little time or memory on the client side, so it might easily not show up on the client top display, if compiling only occurs remotely.

That said, distccmon-gnome, should be run on the client, not the server.

Of course, gkrellm2 should probably works no matter what side you were on.

/etc/conf.d/distccd: DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --allow 10.0.0.103"

This is on 10.0.0.101, right?

You also have 'DISTCCD_OPTS="${DISTCCD_OPTS} --allow 10.0.0.101" on .103, right?

Yes, the 10.0.0.101 is the one on which compiling is started.

Well, distcc*d* is the daemon that answers requests. It has to be properly configured (and started) on all the machines before distcc (the client) works on any of them. [Okay, that's a simplification.]

Also, because distccd is incredibly insecure, you have to make sure and specify all the clients you want the daemon to serve.

So, it your case, make sure .103 it set up to --allow .101 and vice-versa.

You have run /etc/init.d/distccd or rc-update add distccd default && rc?

Does distcc work outside of emerge?

How do I check this one?

Run distcc from the command line.  It should probably be in your path.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.