> Maxim, if you want the system to boot from the hard
> disk, I really think
> you have no choice but to repartition and re-install
> the system, with
> boot as the first partition.

On the Sempron there are two HDs, the 120G, pri-mast
and a 3.5G(fat32) as a pri-slave. LBA is set to auto
in the BIOS for both drives but it only appears "on"
in the POST screen for the 3.5G. I put the 120G as
pri-slave in the K6 box along w/ a 10G
master(gentoo-2004.3) and it does come up as "on" for
both of them albeit only 65G of the 120G available is
reported, probably because of the more
primitive(c.2000) BIOS. So there must be a problem w/
the Asus K8N-E(Sempron box) BIOS. I updated it using
the tool that came w/ the support CD but it only made
matters worse: Not only does LBA remain "off" for the
120G, XP Pro won't boot, even though the boot.ini
console opens. I've contacted Asus but they haven't
replied yet. I bought it two months ago; maybe they'll
let me have a new one. If LBA were "on" that would
solve my problem wouldn't it?

Now, the Asus brd does have raid capability. Would
that be a way out of this morass? How does raid work?
I've never used it before. Failing that is there a way
to copy non-destructively the partition containing
WinXP and move it up enough to make room for a boot
partition at /dev/hda1?

-mw