I'm still working to get my recently reinstalled Gentoo system up to its
former glory.  I cannot get my sound to work though.  I'm following (or
rather trying to) the Gentoo Alsa Guide
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml) .  It says to run lspci to
find out what sound card I'm using:

baby ~ # lspci -v | grep -i audio
0000:00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 04)

I looked at the Alsa Matrix and the only entry it has for Ensoniq is
ens1371 (which, according to my backups is what I was using before and
it worked fine then).  I'm using a genkernel, 2.6 kernel, so I assume
that ALSA is compiled into it already.  However, when I run alsaconf it
finds no cards whatsoever.  This all worked before I reinstalled Gentoo
and although I have a complete backup of my /etc directory before the
reinstall I hesitate to use it (bad experiences in the past) and prefer
to use it instead as a guide.  What am I doing wrong?