Bruno Lustosa schreef:
> How can I make sure that when I upgrade, packages like evolution and
> epiphany (along with mozilla) won't get installed? Is there a (clean)
> way to prevent them from being installed?
> They seem to be tied to gnome, but as I don't use them, I have no need
> to waste time compiling any of them.

I take it you emerged the gnome meta-package (emerge gnome), which
requires evo, epiphany and mozilla (among others), rather than
gnome-light, which does not.

The easiest way to solve this is to

1. Unmerge gnome (this will not uninstall any packages, just the
meta-package, so that evolution et. al. become orphaned dependencies of
an uninstalled package);

2. Unmerge evo, evo data server, mozilla and epiphany

3. emerge gnome-light (which is a "light" meta package that "adopts" the
majority of the packages that the gnome desktop relies on, so that when
gnome-session, gnome-panel or nautilus is updated, you will get those
updates with an emerge -uD world).

That's it. The only major applications that I can think of that are
installed by gnome and not by gnome-light which would remain on the
system as orphans are Totem (and it's gstreamer or xine dependencies),
and possibly beagle, if that's installed.

If you want to keep them, you can re-emerge them alone, so they will be
put in your world file, and thus normally updateable. Or of course you
can remove them-- if anything needs them, they'll be re-emerged at the
next emerge --whatever world that updates the package that requires them.

Hope this helps,
Holly