Another option is to just compile the framebuffer into the kernel.
That's what I did.

Graphics support:
   [*] Support for frame buffer devices
                <*>   VESA VGA graphics support
                        VESA driver type (vesafb-tng)  --->
                ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) VESA default mode

Then my grub is simply:

  timeout 30
  default 0

  title  Gentoo Latest
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3

HTH,
Roy