It is possible that the keys dont actually do anything other than for
example C-A-S-F1  (Control Alt Shift F1).  I have had a couple keyboards
that were like this.  There is nothing to detect unless the key is hit.
One example is a Yahoo Keyboard.  I figured this out one day while I was
playing with a keyboard mapper.  I hit the key, and it displayed CASF1
which meant it was a keysequence of the above.  Its possible your
keyboard might do the same thing.