On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:37:04PM -0700, maxim wexler wrote
> Hello everyone,
>
> Following the "Quickstart Guide to Mutt" have
> encountered the following problems:
>
> $fetchmail -av -m "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
> fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying yahoo.com (protocol POP3) at
> Wed Jul  6 13:51:41 2005: poll started
> fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting to
> connect to server yahoo.com.
> fetchmail: socket error while fetching from yahoo.com
> fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying yahoo.com (protocol POP3) at
> Wed Jul  6 13:56:41 2005: poll completed
> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> fetchmail: normal termination, status 2
>
> Is that protocole(POP3) correct for yahoo?

  If you're using Yahoo.com, I believe that you have to pay for popmail
access.  I.e., it's not part of the free package.  If you do have an
account see http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-03.html for the
correct settings.

> Also, the guide doesn't mention it but do I need to
> emerge sendmail? It just says enter m in Muttpager(?)
> if I want to use sendmail.
>
> man mutt mentions sendmail but man sendmail drew a
> blank.
>
> Here's my attempt at emerging sendmail:

  mutt needs something to provide the functionality of sendmail.
sendmail is a huge, complex beast, which you probably don't want to
administer.  You only need a very basic subset of sendmail in order to
push your email "out the door" from your system to your ISP's smarthost.
ssmtp provides that basic functionality.

  The ssmtp binary is "/usr/sbin/ssmtp", and it also usually has a symlink
"/usr/sbin/sendmail", for those programs that expect to see sendmail.  I
strongly recommend removing the sendmail symlink, and inserting a dummy
file that cannot be overwritten, by executing the commands...

rm /usr/sbin/sendmail
touch /usr/sbin/sendmail
chmod 555 /usr/sbin/sendmail
chattr +i /usr/sbin/sendmail

  If you set up ssmtp with the sendmail symlink, and don't watch what
you're doing, chatty cron jobs will send their output to "root", which
will go to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"; oops.  In your .muttrc, enter the line...

set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -v -d3"

so that mutt knows which MTA to use for sendmail-type services.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca